Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I want to be an Instructional Designer

Cammy Bean posted a question in her post "When I grow up I want to be an Instructional Designer" that I thought was great and really hit home.  I am definitely one of those that accidentally became an Instructional Designer.  This was definitely not something I thought of or geared my career towards.  In all truth technology and I don't really get along on a regular basis - just ask my IT folks!

So how did this happen?  Part of it was being at the right place at the right time.  I was tasked with coming up with a solution to help reduce costs while still maintaining training opportunities.  I was a natural choice for leading this team due to my experience with distance learning in my own education.  The other part of my "success" in becoming an Instructional Designer is the fact that for some unknown reason I can figure out and use the appropriate technological solutions to make effective e-learning presentations (a phenomena I still don't understand).

Why do I keep doing this?  I like the creative side of being an Instructional Designer especially with e-Learning.  It is fun to figure out ways to present information in interesting and enaging formats so the learner not only learns but also can have some fun in the process. 

So what started as a chance assignment ended up as something I really enjoy doing and have become engaged in and truely enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment